Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mission: To take all these creative ideas spinning in my head, written on random pieces of paper, saved on my computer and spoken from my mouth...and make them happen! It's going to be a piece of cake. It will. (speak, repeat, speak, repeat). This is the year I'm going to do it!

I have been blessed with genes that allow me to create wonderful things (thanks to my Papa and Grazma!). My 2 greatest creations are my children, of course. Next in line are my cakes. I have no formal training or college degree in cake-making/decorating. I'm honestly blessed with a talent. When I am given the freedom, and have the time, I can design and execute some pretty awesome cakes. Fondant is my clay. Icing is my charcoal. I am a sculptor of edible art! I have a full time job, volunteer on the school PTO and try to have a social life, so the opportunity for me to actually do these cakes are not as often as I would like. And it doesn't pay well. Since I don't get things at wholesale cost like a bakery does, it's expensive to make these. I can put 10-15 hours in on a cake, then spend $80 in supplies and make only $50...that's less than $5 an hour for all of that work. I really enjoy it, but I do wish it paid better.

When I was in 6th and 7th grade, I remember I was obsessed with making floor plans for homes. I was caught re-arranging furniture in my parent's home and telling them how to decorate as a 10 year old. As a young adult, I was painting and decorating my own room with...gasp...contact paper on the walls! I always had an idea, and I wanted to make things look better. I started to look around at my home, and I just shook my head. I really haven't given my home the TLC it deserves. Sure, the skeleton isn't my dream house, but what is INSIDE is what I have control over!

So, it's time to dust the cobwebs off my creativity, jump start it, and put these ideas in motion. I'll post the projects I'm working on and hope to give you inspiration along the way! I guess you could say I'm giving you a slice of Jessicake! Get a fork, and enjoy!

Below are just a few of the several cakes I've designed and made for family, friends or clients.










No comments:

Post a Comment